Monday, May 14, 2012

Each One Matters

     Each.  One.  Matters.  I chose this title because when I think about what is most important in life, it's people.  Each life is precious!  Period.  Each person, each life, has infinite value and worth.  Not because what each one has to offer, not because of what each can do for me, not for how much each one makes or contributes to society, but simply because they were created in the image of God.  Each was created for a purpose and is loved beyond measure by the God of the universe.  And that is what makes each valuable.

     It seems so often that in the busyness of our days that the one thing most neglected is taking the time to value the people in our lives.  We acknowledge their presence, and as moms we care for our children's needs, but do we really treasure them?  Do we value relationships?  Do we enjoy investing into their lives?

     A number of years ago when I first met my husband's boss, his evaluation of our brief meeting as told to my husband was this, "I see Becky as... a task-oriented person."  I don't know why that has stuck with me or why it even bothered me - but it has.  It is true that I like to get things done quickly and efficiently.  I started thinking about what it would be mean if I wasn't task-oriented.  What would that make me?  So I finally asked my husband's boss.  His answer was relationship-oriented or people-oriented.  It seems that over the years, working with so many people, he saw people as either those who get the job done (and everyone get out of the way) or those who take time for relationships and build them as they are getting the job done.  As I prayed about it, I began to realize that what bothered me so much about his perception of me, was that he saw what was true.  I would get the job done at the expense of people.  I didn't like that about myself.  Since then, I've prayed daily that God would help me value people and relationships more.  That He would give me a heart for people - to see them as He does and then to allow Him to use me in their lives. 

     God has continued to teach me and remind me of the value of each person and that I should not be so busy that I don't have time to reach out to someone... to show love... to listen... to teach.  I love knowing that the greatest thing I can do is pour myself into people.  We were made for relationships - first with our heavenly father and then with people.  I want to encourage you today - take the time to enjoy each person God brings into your life today.  Because each one matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment